Monday, September 20, 2004

Truly Yours

God of the universe; Creator of time/space, quantum mechanics, and cranberries; my amazing Heavenly Father,

You know me intimately. Even beyond stitching my parts together in the womb and breathing life into my fetal nostrils - you know the person that I have become. You know the result of millions of small choices, preferences that slowly changed and shaped my character. Like braces. A small tweak here, and a little tightening there, and slowly, ever so slowly and painfully and surely, the teeth align themselves with those small decisions. Such I am. And such you know.

You, Father, know me more fully than I do myself. You comprehend the myriad consequences of decisions made on whim and emotion. You see the scars that my eyes tend to avoid when I look into that great Holy mirror. And you remember fully the passions and potentials that you authored and stored deep within my heart.

And I am glad. I rejoice that you, above all others, above even myself, know me in such a way. Because you, Father, can provide for needs that I could not meet, even if I saw them as clearly. You alone can plan events to capitalize on innate passions; drawing your children from around the block or the globe to come together and encourage each other, and satisfy those longings that they only understand in glimpses and shadows. Father, only you can defend us from our own weaknesses - these maladies that would overcome us if we alone looked them square in their hideous countenances. But you are prepared for them, you know them deeply and personally, and before you only do they stand frail and humble.

And Father, I thank you tonight that you have known me, and cared for me, and prepared for me an encouragement that I did not realize that I needed, and that I could never have composed. It shows your compassion, especially to a prodigal such as me; it shows your insight; and it shows your power. You alone are to be praised for times such as this, and to you alone do I lift up this work.

No comments: